Friday, October 21, 2022

Assiniboinia Residential School in River Heights 2022

Just before Thanksgiving, I went to visit the Assiniboia Residential School Commemoration and Gathering Place at 621 Academy Road. It was a Catholic High School run by the Grey Nuns that operated from 1958 to 1973. By the fall of that year, I was about to enter Grade 3 and the school was closed. From 1970 to 1973, it was largely a day school as no one stayed overnight anymore. Most in River Heights really didn't know much about the school or the residential system.

Our family moved in in 1968/69 on Renfrew Street, none of the kids yet in Kindergarten. We moved to Kingsway in 1970 and my first year at Sir John Franklin Elementary school. There was not much Canadian in my curriculum materials. Dick and Jane talked about a President, not a prime minister. It was just 25 years after World War II and the one book in the library on the war was written by an RAF pilot on the Battle of Britain.

If this was my experience, imagine my parents. In the 1960s, we had under 10% go on to higher education whereas the U.S. was nearly 30% and rising fast. Vocation, technical and professional training was far behind. It was only in 1970 when it was mandated that teachers have a professional credential. The Canadian flag as we know it now only began to fly five years earlier.

What history education we did receive about Canada was about explorers and discovery of Canada by Europeans including Sir John Franklin, the school namesake. I got more education about Canada listening to As it Happens on CBC Radio from Harry Brown starting in 1968 and later joined by Barbara Frum than any schoolbook material available. As a five year in Kindergarten at Sir John, I didn't have a bike or could leave my block.

And yet, I knew about the Indian School in 1970 on Academy Road. We drove past it often headed to the St. James Y for swimming lessons in the one car the family had, a VW Beetle. It had become a day school by then but I vaguely remember being told it was much older kids and that nuns had lived there. My knowledge of nuns was limited to the Sound of Music from 1965. I heard the music much earlier than seeing it at Rainbow Stage or on TV. But at 1970, I had a certain image of what a nun looked like.

My first home as a newborn was downtown in the Ambassador Block. As my sister and brother came along, we moved to rental houses in places like Elmwood and such till settling in River Heights. By 1973, the Indian School closed. As an 8 year old, it was bewildering. My parents had no insight into it at all either. By the time I was able to ride a bike to places like Assinibone Park down the monkey trails, it was past an empty school building that stayed that way for decades.

It was not until I was well into university that that I heard how widespread and abusive the residential school system was. The first apology came from the United Church in 1986. Government apologies would not come till 20 to 25 years later. And action is still in progress. The public often only experienced the effects of the system and not the cause. It is why the discovery of all the graves this short while was a shock to the much of the Canadian public.
My family lived in River Heights for fifty years and I love the area to this day. On the Friday before Thanksgiving, I went to the memorial on Academy Road. As luck would have it, an Elder from the school was there. You can see him in the picture above. He spent his high school days on Academy and was able to tell me everything about the days before 1973 and I was able to tell him everything that happened after. And in 2022, it all came to together.

Inside the circle is a list of every community that had students come to the school. And on paving stones, the students names were written. Many names are yet to be added. And more done to the memorial in the new year including lights, landscaping and if lucky, benches for Elders who need somewhere to rest, to contemplate. The Elder and his sister, also an Elder, showed me their names. They showed me people who had passed away, some who struggled and he showed me lots who succeeded. 

As far as anyone knows, and this was from the Elders, no one is buried at Academy. And no one died there. But many struggled and died as a result of the trauma which we learned in detail from the Truth and Reconciliation meetings.
This was not a somber visit. It was a beautiful day, it is an amazing memorial and the Elder was full of information and stories that I was happy to hear. He laughed a lot. I told him how tobogganing and baseball had been long time activities after 1973.
It is worth a visit and with luck maybe an Elder will be there as well. The only way to know history is for the story to be told. And the reason history is taught is because it can tell us a lot about who we were and what we would like to become.
I know I will visit again. I can't wait to see it lit up. 

No comments: