Thursday, September 10, 2020

Music Man February 26, 1982 Kelvin High School

I was not part of this production despite many years in musicals over the years. In 1982 I was played on three soccer teams and one hockey team. I wasn't even in the choir till the 1982/83 year. Most people probably don't know I was attending art school at Forum Art for credit in Mr. Cramer's class in addition to my course load. That, and working for VPW on camera and location work starting at River Heights Junior High and throughout my entire Kelvin High School years.

Still, many of my friends were in this production of the Music Man based on the Broadway musical of 1957 by Meredith Wilson. I heard the music so much that I bought the LP of the musical featuring Robert Preston and Shirley Jones from the 1962 movie.

I will let those who were part of the production tell their stories about it. I was periphery at best although Doug Finlayson and I can tell some stories about the choir exchange and a later bus trip and week of holidays in Burnsville in 1982. It was he and Tom George who encouraged me to take up choir again in Grade 12.

The Burnsville choir came in from Minnesota and wowed Kelvin with Birdland by Manhattan Transfer. I think a few dozens students went and bought the album after. I know I did. Kelvin wowed Burnsville as well. Mr. Standing had several numbers that each year that were tops at the Manitoba Music Festival.

It was there that I learned that whoever felt the most guilty for disruptive behaviour in Mr. Standing's class got the boot. I recall one time we were using paper over combs for some harmonica type experimental number we were doing (kind of like the PDQ Bach we used to do). I remember saying aloud: Don't blow, suck.

Mr. Standing bellowed: Get out!

He stared at the boys in the back and pointed at the door. Doug felt most guilty and left. Think we all took turns in the doghouse.

Kelvin would sweep awards at the Manitoba Music Festival in 1983. The school would go on to win the nationals as well when the recorded program at The Playhouse went to Ontario for adjudication.

To the troupe of Music Man, I want to say how expert the costuming, make-up, performances and overall show was. The humour, the tremendous acting were all a credit to the highest level of commitment and I was pleased to have been in the audience.

I'm not as well versed in the arts of some my talented high school grads are. I've seen great plays and musicals in a  number of countries. I've worked in TV and film occasionally but I can say beyond doubt that I was privileged to see such talent at Kelvin in such a short time. The Music Man was simply a great night.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi John I enjoy reading your posts. Do you have any idea what they are doing with the old Sears store at Polo Park? They seem to be removing the facade.

Kathy

John Dobbin said...

My understanding is they are subdividing it inside and upgrading the facade which was left intact when Polo Park added its second floor in 1986. They wanted a more consistent look and better insulation and lighting.

Kathy said...

Thanks John - enquiring minds wanted to know!

Unknown said...

From "Elma Hicks, Piccadilly lady, the music man", appreciated this post. Regret that it was tonight's cbc interview that led me to it. Been thinking lots of your dad as I teach my own son to drive. All best to you and family in these covid times. Rhonda Kennedy