Friday, December 17, 2010

Five Guys Burgers and Fries - Winnipeg



President Barack Obama's Favourite Burger Joint.

Back in November of 2009, the National Post reported that Canada was going to see a big opening of the Five Guys Burgers and Fries restaurant chain in Canada. Medicine Hat, Alberta was the first to get a location and in February of this year, Brandon, Manitoba got their first location. Grand Forks, North Dakota is shown to be next in terms of openings near Winnipeg.

Back in May of 2009, NBC News showed President Obama buying burgers for his staff. In various reviews, the burgers Five Guys Burgers have generally been outstanding.

In September of this year, the Foodforu website reported that Winnipeg was due to get two locations. I held off on mentioning it but once again, I see a report that Winnipeg is going to get a number of locations.

The first is said to be on Kenaston Boulevard near Rona, with another on Portage Avenue. A third location will likely come up in Kildonan Crossing, between Lagimodiere Boulevard and Panet Road.


The Foodforu website described the burgers as such:

It's a Burger place with a twist, you pay for the burger and the condiments such as mayo, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, ketchup, mustard, relish, onion, jalapeno peppers, green pepper, A-1 sauce, BBQ sauce, or hot sauce are all free so load your burger with some or all. Then you can order either regular fries, or cajun fries, the quantities are large so be prepared.


There is nothing on the Five Guys Burgers saying when the restaurants will open but reports are that it will be in February.

I suppose this is a case of where Brandon, Manitoba can say "we got it first."

The selection of condiments to add to the burger reminds me of Grubee's in Winnipeg in the 1970s. Anyone remember that chain?

As far as Five Guys Burgers go, you can say Obama sent you.

hit counter javascript

8 comments:

cherenkov said...

I don't remember Grubee's, but I remember Fudruckers. (They still have one in Saskatoon.) I used to load up my plate with lettuce and tomatoes and have a free salad with my burger. I wonder why they went out of business?

Marty said...

We could do a whole post just about Grubees. I knew the owners.

One Man Committee said...

Post on Grubee's: yes, please. Didn't they have a location on Portage near Donald at one point? Whatever happened to that chain?

As for Five Guys, I've never been before but now that they're going to open up in Winnipeg I'll have to check it out - only to see if it compares to VJ's.

John Dobbin said...

I think at it's start Fuddruckers Winnipeg was owned by some Winnipeg Jets players.

There is next to nothing about the old Grubee's out there. I'd need help with the details.

It would be hard to stop VJs but I'd like to see everyone try! ha!

cenquist said...

5 Guys Burgers is so good. Glad we getting one!

james said...

As a long time Five Guys customer, I can tell you that Winnipeg has never seen anything like it. VJs and Mrs Mike's are good, but cannot compare to the taste of Five Guys - sorry Winnipeg!

In a land of mediocre burgers and pizza, Five Guys will definitely raise the bar. Some existing places may find it difficult to compete.

Anonymous said...

I live in Surrey for last 25 years but am still a Winnipeg guy. Have a Five Guys location 5 minutes away. You'll love them they are a burger lovers burger. I travel a lot and have eaten at FG in Arlington VA, Georgetown (Washington,DC), Birmingham Alabama, Phila, etc, etc. So rejoice nowing they are coming soon to to Winnipeg. I now that you are to be getting 7 or 8 stores. Can't believe Brandon got it first (city politics). When I was a young Winnipeg teen, I worked for Oscar Grubert at Grubee's on Portage near Donald, Loved it there best burgers in town at the time. it was fun and thery took good care of us staff, I miss the place. Blondies is good too. I come home at least twice a year. Go bombers go.

Anonymous said...

boy my spelling sucks, I meant "knowing", stubborn k.