Thursday, August 22, 2019

My New Bike

Two weeks ago I finally received my Dutch bicycle from Utrecht, Netherlands. It came in a cargo container with a few hundred other bikes that had been abandoned or apprehended in Holland. Park in the wrong place and they can take away your bike and it will cost you 50 Euros to get back. Some people just opt to get an updated bike instead.

The bikes were being refurbished all summer and some were used sent to Winnipeg Folk Festival in exchange for bike mechanic services. My bike had number 1 written on it which I was told meant that it spent the weekend at the music festival as a rental.

The bikes were dispersed by height and by draw. Bikes for a given height were assembled and then numbered. A number would go on the bike and another in your envelope. After arriving in Point Douglas at a lovely fenced park by the warehouse where bikes were repaired, you went to a little table where they matched your name up and you got to pick an envelope.

You were supposed to open your envelope till later but mine opened and fell to the ground right at the table as it was not sealed. I had number 50.  The bikes were stretched out all the way against the fences and every tree and a few hundred people milled about looking at them.

I knew that I could match my number so that's what I looked for. Bikes were mostly black, a few painted other colours. Some had a side kick stand, front bike carrier, back bike carrier and some had all. All bikes were rideable but some looked like they could use some additional upgrades from their new owners.

I think I circled the entire perimeter before I spotted my bike. It was the only one featuring Partridge Family colours in the Mondrian style of contemporary art. I was a bit tickled by it. Some people unaware of how the bike were distributed also eyed the bike as a possible choice. However, I knew the bike was mine.

Once I established the positives of my bike I looked to see what the negatives might be. Those were that it would need a good lock. I wanted it to have lights. I also wanted it to have a basket. For in the house I wanted a stand.

Beer and hotdogs were part of the celebration and we heard about the work that went into bringing the bikes over. Lots of people and hard work made it happen. I transported my bike home and brought it inside and a day or two later took it to Olympia on Portage Avenue for its improvements.



I got my lights, lock and baskets installed and have done a small grocery shop with success and a few rides.

The stand I bought doesn't work. Even with advice from manufacturer, the free standing rack won't hold the bike. I'm looking at returning it and doing without. Disappointing as it cost $50. I'm not sure if it would work for any of the European bikes.

I'm still scared to ride down some roads including the one to my work. Drivers don't care and I don't want to be hurt or killed. I just want to ride my bike. No sidewalk or bike path to my work. Police stop people every week who race up the shoulder at 80 kms. It's inhuman.

Anyway, that's my bike. I hope to get one more rear wheel lock. Some people are saying that I need three locks. Might do that. However, I've been attacked personally so protecting your property still means they can attack you to get it.

Still, doing my best to have some fun, get exercise and be outside. This city can make it tough though.

1 comment:

rmginter@gmail.com said...

Nice bike! I'm sure the previous owner would be surprised by the "Commute" it made...