Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Cork and Flame Coming to St. James

It has been a while since the Nook and Cranny restaurant shut down in St. James. It was a second location for The Nook on Sherbrook with some added features such as a lounge. Around 2011 The Nook St. James opened but in the ever tough hospitality industry closed quietly last year. St. James is littered with some closed restaurant locations. Robin's, Mandarin and Gasthaus Gutenberg have all shuttered and remain closed.

The Nook and Cranny itself took over for the long running Schmeckers which had two locations and was the master of late nights for many years. The Big Schmeck would take a good long time to eat even for the ravenous. As for The Cranny, it seemed to be busy but running a restaurant is a seven days a week, at least two meals operation. And if you have a lounge, it means longer hours. It is backbreaking.

A sign along Portage Avenue says that Cork and Flame is coming soon. It has been up for a number of weeks now and contractor work vehicles have been outside all the time. The big trend lately for Winnipeg restaurants is a grill and it has seen some places in Charleswood transformed.

No word yet but will look to see the 350+ restaurant putting in the signage and opening soon.

1 comment:

Up and Coming Films said...

RATED I visited Cork and Flame on about 9:30 pm Sat Aug 24, 2019 -- had a few problems and was invited to try another experience the next day Sun Aug 25 2019 9:30 PM.

The first extremely disappointing visit on Saturday was followed a truly Hellish experience on Sunday.

For trying to take pictures and review the restaurant I was attacked by a raging out of control manager, choking me, punching me, grabbing my hair -

all the while screaming GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE , over & over again - I said I would but I had my computer & cellphone at the bar and I would get it.

He blocked me screaming obscenities all along and refused to allow me to get me stuff,

All the while he was choking, punching, trying to strangle ... Fortunately the bartender went and got my stuff although my glasses are still there and writing this is very difficult, But I did go outside & called 911.

A few moments later the manager came out raging again yelling and screaming and assaulting me with "GET THE FUCK OFF MY PROPERTY" - while I was on the line to 911. I moving to the sidewalk to await the ambulance & the police..

You can read the rest in the civil lawsuit I am investigating how to launch.

Meanwhile I can advise avoiding this location at all costs and ESPECIALLY the maniac manager.

It is grotesquely overpriced for the market anyway, miss-bills and loses orders, has a defective and illegal command chain - if they even think they have one.

You can't check your bill since it says things you never ordered - the explanation being "We don't have a button on our machine for what your ordered".

The food while good is far overpriced - an evening beer, snack and coffee will run $35.00 up. Meals will run twice that and more if you want a bottle of wine.

A good performing keyboard/singer sang to an empty room on Saturday,

The high chairs treated as chairs in the bar section are so high as to be unusable by anyone 55+ or shorter than 5' 10".

Summary - expect a disappointing & overcharged experience if not outright violence.

Do not go alone. Stick in a group and make sure you have a strong bodyguard as part of your group.