Casual commentary about political, cultural and economic issues with a particular interest on the city of Winnipeg by John Dobbin
Saturday, August 2, 2008
Winnipeg Free Press Part 1
Picture taken by aqua_swing. This was the old headquarters on Carleton.
The Winnipeg Free Press was founded in 1872 and has been one of the main newspapers in the city ever since. It has had a series of Winnipeg-based owners except for a time where it was owned by the Thomson family from 1979 to 1991.
In 1991, the company was acquired from Thomson by Ronald N. Stern, a former Winnipegger who now lives in Vancouver and Robert Silver, a Winnipeg who is owner of Western Glove. Stern came from a printing and newsprint background. Silver is rooted in the garment sector.
Stern is the chairman of the company and seems to have his investments in Silver's companies in Winnipeg such as Warehouse One and Western Glove Works. Between the two men, they own 51% of the Free Press and associated companies. I suspect Stern might be the larger shareholder of the two but have no confirmation of that. The other 49% of the company is owned by an income trust comprised of a wide variety of investors.